- Make a holiday spending plan
- Use the envelope method to divide planned spending for each person on your gift list
- Use cash if possible.
- If you use credit, pick the card with the best terms (ie. lowest interest rate). Keep track of expenditures in order to stay within spending plan.
- Make a list of gifts you plan on buying and plan the most economical route to save gas.
- Think outside the gift box (ie. buy a single gift for your brother's entire family -- perhaps an "entertainment" basket filled with DVDs, microwave popcorn and gift certificates to the movies)
- Spend no more than you can afford
Rules for Shopping:
- Get easy gifts out of the way
- Compare prices and sellers (online and paper advertisements)
- Get and use reliable, current information about products you’re buying
- Consider time and travel costs
- Look for price matching opportunities
- Watch out for bargain offers requiring additional spending
- Prior to purchase, inquire about store return policy
- Ask about sale adjustments in case what you are purchasing goes on sale within a few days
- Use credit only when necessary
- Evaluate the opportunity costs of purchases made
Rules for Shopping Online:
- Become familiar with the online merchant
- Inquire about shipping costs and return policies
- Use a secure web browser. Look for the security lock and the ‘s’ in https://
- Use a safe and hard-to-guess password when setting up accounts
- Look for “opt out” option to prevent advertisements from being sent to email
- Use credit card online as opposed to bank card. Credit cards are safer because of the Fair Credit Act. If your number was stolen, the most you could lose is $50 per occurrence. With a bank card, you could incur total loss.
- Keep a record of order for your records
- Do not send financial or personal information via email.
- Research product and seller prior to making a purchase
Finding Deals Online
Places to Shop
Online Reward Programs
Online Coupon Codes
View information regarding retailer's financial condition.
For more information on holiday shopping, go to:
Laura E. Royer
Family & Consumer Sciences
E-mail : email@example.com